Tuesday 11 December 2007

"YORKSHIRE" TEACAKES

Quite why these are specific to Yorkshire I'm not sure, as the recipe looks fairly universal:

Recipe for 8 teacakes:

  • 450g Strong White Bread Flour (I'm still using Allinson's)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 50g butter
  • sachet fast blend yeast
  • 50g light brown soft sugar
  • 50g mixed peel
  • 100g currants (I used dried mixed fruit, not being all that keen on currants)
  • 300ml half milk/half water mix, warm
glaze:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
(brush on the glaze as they come out of the oven, it adds a nice shine)

Method:
This recipe says rub the flour,salt and butter together, then add everything else and knead for 10 minutes, or until the dough is elastic, then divide into 8 and leave to rise beneath oiled clingfilm before baking at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
Although sceptical, I followed the method, but much as expected there was little growth in the 30 minutes. Next time I shall start the yeast in the water/milk mixture before I add it to the dough. I placed mine quite low in the oven and left for 30 minutes. The cakes are very tasty indeed, if a little heavy and doughy.

The recipe was found in a pamphlet entitled "Better Baking", produced by Hovis in association with British Gas, which we picked up for 20p in a local charity shop.

No comments: